Thrill of the Stitch


I'm having a blast stitching up this turtle. It's interesting how my marks have a different expressive quality than the original drawing, even thought I'm trying to follow it closely.

Louis Nicolas used a very loose, jagged-y scribble to shade the turtle shell. He wasn't able to achieve a naturalistic effect, instead the turtle looks bizarre and chaotic. I have to resist my desire to correct his drawing. It's a good challenge.


Images of pages from the Codex Canadensis are from the Library and Archives of Canada website.

Comments

  1. I'm fascinated with this... amazing. I can make drawn marks for hours on end, but can't imagine stitching this. Well, maybe I can imagine it but can't imagine trying it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this Heather. Keep going.

    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. onesmallstitch10:14 AM

    love the turtle, fabulous work. think you are going to dissappear into your stitching.

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is so beautiful and what an inspiration! I immediately want to make get stitching in black and white, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. what can i say? All i can say is "OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH"

    so, OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

    ReplyDelete
  6. this made my jaw drop. love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful stitching, perhaps a
    snapping turtle??

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks amazing! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please forgive me for using word verification. The spam robots got to me.