Taking Apart, and Putting Together Again


The other day, I unstitched two cotton kimonos. Like all the Japanese cloth I have seen, these simple everyday garments were handsewn with meticulous care. I always feel somewhat destructive when I take a kimono apart, even though I do it with respect. And I hope to put back something of what I take away by remaking the cloth.

Here's a view of the clothesline after I washed the pieces. There are two kimonos and their linings here.

I like the perspective from the other side, with sunlight defining the weave structure.

And how am I re-making this cloth? I'm not sure, but have started with the two fabulously worn sleeve linings and a slice of the outer cloth. Buddhist colours. Let's see where it goes.

Comments

Post a Comment

Please forgive me for using word verification. The spam robots got to me.