Stylin' Monk's Bag


I have been collecting old silk sarees and salwar paneez suits from the local thrift stores for a while now. The more colourful and sparkly the better! I am amazed by the workmanship and the sheer glamour of the cloth. Some of the pieces are so heavy with beading that I can't imagine them being possible to wear.

Anyway, I have been planing to recycle them into skirts and bags, but until now have been too chicken to cut into the fabric. But the Whiplash challenge came along at just the right time, and inspired me to make this bag. It's cut out of a turquoise silk saree suit, and lined with orange and yellow striped cotton. it has an inner pocket and a magnetic closure.


This would go in the Fancy category I think!



whipup

Comments

  1. Such beautiful fabrics. I have several of those in my stash too - Never thought of using them this way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think your bag is lovely :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful bag. Using old saris etc is a great idea. How inspiring. Must go looking for some in thrift shops now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes! Very fancy indeed! Beautiful bag!

    ReplyDelete
  5. absolutely gorgeous! very nice work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous3:13 PM

    It is soooo beautiful! What a wonderful way to recycle those amazing fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How gorgeous! Where do you get the fabric?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please forgive me for using word verification. The spam robots got to me.