Monday, January 13, 2014

Critters

On Friday, I received the most wonderful present in the mail from the very talented artist and fellow stitcher Arlee Barr. This little guy is made from her gorgeous eco-dyed fabric, and embellished with embroidery in thread that also looks hand dyed.
At first glance I thought he was a deer, because of the antlers, but he has a broad bullish chest and stance. 
And a kicky back leg. He looks both very earthy and at the same time otherworldly.
He's just a fabulous l'il critter. I've assigned him to supervision duties at the embroidery frame - so far he's been the perfect muse!
The red-winged blackbird is coming along. I found a deep madder-red silk thread for the heart, but I have vowed to finish the other birds before I complete the heart. There's nothing like the promise of colour at the end of the tunnel to keep me going.

7 comments:

  1. Wow! Love the critter! And love your bird embroidery. Yes, the promise of color is very alluring!

    ReplyDelete
  2. such a cute critter! the blackbird looks great. "promise of colour" beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. HA! He almost blends with the style the Mister used. And he is a rather sturdy guardian i think for you :)Glad he can work for his keep!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whoa! What a fab little guy! And a lovely blackbird to boot!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Take the antlers off and he's an English bull terrier!

    ReplyDelete
  6. He's a very handsome critter! Lovely work, Arlee. Lucky Heather!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lucky you! Beautiful work by arlee. :)

    ReplyDelete

Please forgive me for using word verification. The spam robots got to me.