Silent Death Stalks the Range


A small lynx. I am happy with the amount of detail I was able to get with the 4-ply yarn. This little guy is about seven inches long. Surprisingly, he has no ear tufts, one of the distinctive features of the lynx. Louis Nicolas did not include them in his original drawing, although he, as usual, was careful to detail the sharp teeth and claws.

I am always astonished at how beautiful the lynx is, although now that I think of it, I can't remember ever seeing one in real life, let alone the wild. I have only seen photos, which show the lynx to have regal dignity, an otherworldly wisdom, and mesmerizing eyes. Pere Nicolas mentions them in the typical context of the value of their furs. He also says they taste delicious. They are now rare in Eastern Canada due to "human activity."

Comments