Fresh!


Here's a bouquet (and some tomato seedlings) on the occasion of my 400th blog posting. Who would have guessed that I could keep writing for so long? I really have to credit my dear readers, because without the feedback and support I would probably have shut up long ago! Thanks for still dropping by, even when I have nothing much to say.

The daffodils are blooming their bright hearts out and I can't keep up with all the eggs the chicken are laying. I am beginning to see over the top of the huge pile of mending that has been brought to me over the winter. It appears to be spring!

Share in making this fantastically delicious and nourishing Spring Tonic soup. An island favourite, it is made with stinging nettle tops. Gather nettles from a spot away from the road, take just the top 6 inches or so, and WEAR GLOVES! As soon as the green are cooked they will no longer sting, and they taste quite like spinach or chard.

3 T. butter or oil
1 large onion, diced
2 c. packed young stinging nettle tops
2 large potatoes, scrubbed and chopped
1 carrot, peeled and chopped
1 t. sea salt
1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper
1 garlic clove, minced
4 c. milk, stock or a combination (Soup will be a bright green with just stock, more pastel with milk)

Saute onion and garlic in oil in a large pot. Add nettles, potatoes, carrot, salt and pepper. Add 2 c. liquid and simmer 'til veggies are soft. Pour into a blender and blend 'til smooth. Return to pot, add remaining liquid and reheat. Serve in bowl with a bit of heavy cream drizzled decoratively if you want to be fancy.

Comments

  1. Congratulations on your 400th blog that is some going. Love the photo of the flowers it is so 'Spring'
    Take care,keep safe,be happy
    Beverley xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the recipe, I now live in a flat and it could be difficult to find fresh nettles!
    I remember the father of a friend who would make pasta with nettles, do you know the green pasta? Normally it is made with spinach, but nettles add an exotic idea to the dish (not that the taste was any different).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous12:53 PM

    congratulations, on the 4ooth, I can't even imagine getting there. Your blogs are never boring, they are a wonderful way to share ideas. Ever onward to the next 400!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please forgive me for using word verification. The spam robots got to me.