Thursday, February 03, 2011
Another Day, Another Quilt
I finished the quilt I was making for a community fundraiser. I'm quite happy with it, even if it is a little too dainty for my taste. The scalloped border took a good seven hours of work! Fiddly, but worth it, I think.
The embroidered linen squares were made at least thirty years ago by a friend of Sue's grandmother. She was glad to donate them so they would no longer be lurking accusingly in her workbasket. The squares were pre-stamped with the patterns, and quite nicely embroidered.
The border is of linen from a beautiful but stained sheet. It feels so lovely and smooth. The sashing came from Charlotte's stash, and contains a percentage of polyester, as I ruefully discovered a bit too late. It had an annoying tendency to slither around the table as I was piecing the top. The backing was a thrift store sheet that I had bought to use on my bed as I liked the colour. But I found the very high thread count made it too soft and clingy, so quilt backing it is!
Of course Angus had to get in on the action. He provided a useful weight to keep the fabric from slipping to the floor as I drew the scallops on the border. If you would like to know the fine details of scallop making, I found Linda Franz's tutorial a great help.