Beginning


I have started a new piece. I hesitated a bit about showing it at this stage, because it's only just begun. But I am working very intuitively on this one, and following the process may be interesting.

It started with the little piece of arashi shibori that was left over from the Mariner's Compass. I was drawn to the mirrored image, which immediately evoked for me the reflection of mountains and sky on water. I plan to work into the shapes to bring this image out.

It is layered on a very old piece of Japanese silk and cotton cloth, and appliqued with a beautiful horse from another vintage scrap of Japanese cloth.

The text is a slight misquote from Rumi (just before he says "There are hundreds of ways to kneel and kiss the earth.") I tried using the Faber Castell brush pen to draw the lettering before embroidering, which seemed to work well. As usual, I will embroider the words in random order to hopefully avoid an obvious improvement (or deterioration) in my stitching as I go.

I think this is a wind horse. As I seem to be having a bout of 3 a.m. insomnia, this cloth will be at hand to work on until I become drowsy again. Maybe that way dreams will enter it.

Comments

  1. Hello. I just found your blog. I am also an Art therapist. My Blog is Art Therapy Reflections. Hope you are enjoying this warm West Coast summer, I am on Denman Island for 6 weeks. Warmly, Karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9:17 PM

    WOW! I am totally impressed by the unique way you have brought these three different pieces of Japanese fabric together. Wonderful quote too. Looking forward to seeing the final result.

    Jean-Pierre

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your wild horse and poem. The mirror shibori is perfect and it all
    comes together in beauty!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please forgive me for using word verification. The spam robots got to me.