Friday, August 13, 2010

Beginning


I have started a new piece. I hesitated a bit about showing it at this stage, because it's only just begun. But I am working very intuitively on this one, and following the process may be interesting.

It started with the little piece of arashi shibori that was left over from the Mariner's Compass. I was drawn to the mirrored image, which immediately evoked for me the reflection of mountains and sky on water. I plan to work into the shapes to bring this image out.

It is layered on a very old piece of Japanese silk and cotton cloth, and appliqued with a beautiful horse from another vintage scrap of Japanese cloth.

The text is a slight misquote from Rumi (just before he says "There are hundreds of ways to kneel and kiss the earth.") I tried using the Faber Castell brush pen to draw the lettering before embroidering, which seemed to work well. As usual, I will embroider the words in random order to hopefully avoid an obvious improvement (or deterioration) in my stitching as I go.

I think this is a wind horse. As I seem to be having a bout of 3 a.m. insomnia, this cloth will be at hand to work on until I become drowsy again. Maybe that way dreams will enter it.

3 comments:

  1. Hello. I just found your blog. I am also an Art therapist. My Blog is Art Therapy Reflections. Hope you are enjoying this warm West Coast summer, I am on Denman Island for 6 weeks. Warmly, Karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9:17 PM

    WOW! I am totally impressed by the unique way you have brought these three different pieces of Japanese fabric together. Wonderful quote too. Looking forward to seeing the final result.

    Jean-Pierre

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your wild horse and poem. The mirror shibori is perfect and it all
    comes together in beauty!

    ReplyDelete

Please forgive me for using word verification. The spam robots got to me.