Wednesday, December 24, 2008

The Fates


Finally, finally, finally. I have finished The Fates piece at last. Here are a couple of quick snaps to give you a general idea.

This is the first time I have worked in a tondo format. It definitely appeals to my desire for symmetry. I was also very happy with the brocade border - a piece of fabric that I got at the Swap-O-Rama-Rama in Seattle last spring. And the stretcher it is mounted on was found at the hospital thrift store in Steveston - just the right size and only a dollar! The piece measures 20" square.

My embroidery skills are fair to middling, but working this piece helped improve them. And as far as what it all means, I will have to ponder it a bit. I know what I had in mind when it started but inevitably time and the process of working changes things.

6 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:11 PM

    As my dear old Mom would say, "There's a lot of work in that". That's the highest praise she gives. Remarkable Heather. It is a very, very beautiful piece and one that demands contemplation. I get the words on the outside but the words on the inside add another dimension which eludes me. There's a bit of mystery sewn in.

    Oh, and Happy New Year, or as they say over here, "You O Yoshi...".

    Jean-Pierre

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely, and as usual thought-provoking. Have a lovely holiday time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely beautiful - elegant and subtle and full of grace and truth.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous2:32 PM

    G'day and seasons greetings
    I think it's bloody good!
    Best wishes for pleasure in 09
    Cheers Jan

    ReplyDelete
  5. i would say your skills are rather breathtaking.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It seems different countries, different cultures, we really can decide things in the same understanding of the difference!
    nike shoes

    ReplyDelete

Please forgive me for using word verification. The spam robots got to me.