Swap Frenzy

While Keiko the wonder dog has been commanding some of my attention, I can't blame her for my silence of late. I'm just the girl that can't say "n..n....n.."
I have three major Swap-O-Rama-Ramas this spring, and on top of the time sink that is the coffee bar, I have come up with an idea for a new series of pieces that I can't wait to see completed.

My creative process is not that unusual, I guess. I plug away most of the time "keeping my skills up", and every now and then I will wake up in the middle of the night with an idea burning in my brain. I can actually see the whole thing in my mind's eye, it comes to me complete. And the rest of the process is mostly production, realizing the vision. Sometimes things change a bit along the way, but most of the time it's just putting it together.

I'll wait to show you how its coming, but in the meantime I can say the series deals with infinity, death, loss and renewal. Frothy stuff, huh? I think it's the accident finally seeping up through the surface.

Next weekend I go to Seattle to help the amazingly energetic (and mother of a new baby) Denise Hendriksson put on a Swap-O-Rama-Rama at Greenfest, the huge environmentally friendly consumer show. We will be one of the few hands on exhibitors, giving people the opportunity to both create a new wardrobe, not spend any money, and save tons of clothing from the landfill all at the same time.

Then, May 3 and 4 will find me at Maker Faire, producing another Swap-O-Rama-Rama in warm and sunny San Mateo (near San Francisco. Last year was such a blast - can we top it?? Apparently we have a bride and groom that will be creating their outfits on-site, and there are rumours of models on unicycles for the fashion show!


And in June I will hopefully be in Sheboygan, Wisconsin as an artist-in-residence, producing a Swap-O-Rama-Rama to kick off the Kohler Art Centre's fabulous summer DIY series. I probably shouldn't say anything til the contract is signed but I'm very excited about this - the Kohler has the best collection of vernacular artist environments (translation: obsessive original backyard sculptures) in the world. And their washrooms are somethin' else: definitely have a look at their website.

Comments

  1. oh how i do love those 3 a.m. wake-up flashes! from there, i just try my best to stay out of the way and simply transcribe. will surely be watching . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait to see your new series; and good luck with the residence.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please forgive me for using word verification. The spam robots got to me.