Start the Revolution


"Resist fashion. Manufacture your own brand. Embrace
tradition. Learn from history. Shatter the present.
Create the future. Stitch by stitch, we can and will
change the world. The revolution is at hand and
knitting needles are the only weapons you'll need.
Stop making scarves, start making trouble.
Consume less.
Create more.
Knitting is political.
BEGIN IMMEDIATELY."

These are the words of Lisa Anne Auerbach of Steal This Sweater fame. They inspired me to do something I've been kicking around in the back of my mind for a while - start a knitting gang. There are quite a few knitting groups in Vancouver, but none in my neighbourhood, and, as far as I can tell, none that are specifically interested in knitting as a political act.

My friend Conrad was keen on the idea too, and he has been building a web page for us as well as offering his home for the first meeting, which will happen in the next couple of weeks.

Part of what got my ass in gear was the comment of a Vancouver civic official who recently got herself splashed all over the media with her opinion that women should be allowed to carry concealed weapons. She said, "Some people knit. I like to shoot guns." The utter foolish narcissism of this woman aside, it was a provocative comment. I don't share her belief that women carrying guns will make the streets safer, however I do believe that more people knitting in the streets will make our communities both safer and happier. And, as Conrad says, "Happy people make a healthier planet."

We are loosely based on the inspiring model of the Revolutionary Knitting Circle founded by Grant Neufeld in Calgary. Read more about them and some of their wonderful actions here.

Want to join? Or start a group in your own community? Send me a comment.

Comments

  1. Very cool. Sadly, I think LA is too far from Vancouver to be a participating member of this group! Good luck with it, and do keep me posted.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please forgive me for using word verification. The spam robots got to me.